How to Fix Error Message “Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device”
Are you facing an error message called “reboot and select proper boot device”?
If yes, then you need to restart your computer, and then choose hardware that your computer uses to boot on.
Here, the question comes how you can resolve the problem of “reboot and select proper boot device”?
There are various ways that can help you get rid of errors called reboot and choose the proper boot device.
Do you want to learn more about it? If so, then you should keep reading it.
What Are the Reasons Behind Error Message “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device”?
If you want to learn how to fix reboot and select proper boot device problem in a computer, you first need to know the reasons behind the same.
So, let’s check out a few most common reasons behind this problem.
- When you choose the wrong hard drive in your BIOS option.
- When Windows OS is not recognizing the hard drive or windows loader isn’t working adequately.
- In case of hardware error in the hard drive.
If you want to fix the problem, you first need to find out the reason behind the same. Without knowing the reason, you won’t be able to resolve the problem.
In other words, you can fix the problem of getting the error message “reboot and select proper device” by detecting the problem behind the same. Remember that solution should be based on the specific problem.
So, let’s check out how you can fix this problem by following the stated below methods.
Wrong Hard Derive Selected in BIOS
One of the key reasons behind receiving the error message “reboot and select proper boot device” is that the wrong hard derive could be selected in BIOS.
Usually, an incorrect setting in BIOS or a weak BIOS battery may be a reason behind this error. Hence, the computer hard derive doesn’t detect the device, and windows decline the booting.
Now, the question arises here how you can get rid of this issue. For this, you need to follow the stated below instructions.
- Since you need to make a change to the BIOS setup, you need to click on f2 or Delete option.
- A prompt could appear on your screen during the initial startup process.
- Click on the BIOS setting program, and choose default BIOS settings from the option. It could be adequate in various cases in order to fix the problem of the wrong drive selected.
- In case of not finding the above method working, you need to evaluate hard drives that could be listed in the given BIOS. Remember, a computer usually boots from its first hard drive. Here you need to set the order on how to choose or search hard drives to detect issues.
- Here one point should be noted that if you are receiving “OS not found” or “Reboot and select proper boot device” error, you need to understand that there could be no operating system installed that should be rebooted.
- There are a few BIOS versions where you can set the hard drive as its default boot drive.
- Once you make the desired changes to your BIOS settings, you need to save them.
- Now, press the F10 key to restart your computer.
How to Resolve Windows Boot Loader Isn’t Working Adequately
Another reason behind receiving the error message regarding the booting or rebooting issue is that the windows boot loader may not be working properly.
Now, it’s the point where you will Windows System Repair the right option to go with when it comes to repairing the boot loader. So, let’s check out how you can do it.
- Since there is no boot loader, you need to install the same using Windows installation DVD or available bootable USB drive. Here you need to remember that the start menu usually has advanced booting options that can help you repairing OS or recover your important data.
- Now, you need to choose your language and click on the given Repair option.
- Now, you need to click on the Troubleshoot option in the second window.
- Choose Windows isn’t the starting option.
- Now, you need to click on Restore your computer to its factory settings.
- If you are looking for additional system repair options, you need to click on “Advanced Options”. By choosing this option, you can even get a damaged system back to its normal position.
- Remember if boot arena on the given hard drive is a reason behind windows isn’t working, startup repair could be a great resolution.
- So, you just need to run the available Startup Repair option to resolve the issue.
What Is Startup Repair Can’t Fix “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device” Issue in PC?
If you find the aforesaid method i.e. startup repair inadequate to resolve the “reboot and select proper boot device” problem, you need to try the stated below method.
Remember, this method can only be used on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
- For this option, you can boot your PC from the given Windows installation DVD.
- First, you need to choose your language, and then click on the available Repair Your Computer option.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Go to Advanced Options.
- Click on Command Prompt.
- Type a command like – bootrec/fixmbr.
- Next use another – bootrec/fixboot.
- The above command simply writes a new boot arena to the given disk so that it can replace an existing boot loader.
- Click on the Exit option to close a given command prompt.
- Go to the repair option again and click on the restart option from the hard drive.
Does Hard Drive Contain a Hardware Problem?
In case of noting that a hard drive may contain a hardware problem, you need to fix it accordingly. For this, you need to follow the stated below instructions.
- Disconnect your computer from the available power source.
- Now, disconnect the available SATA cable especially from the motherboard and hard drive.
- Now, clean available contacts with an alcohol wipe.
- It’s time to reconnect the disconnected cable.
- Reboot your computer.
- However, the above-mentioned method can resolve the issue, but still, you can try the stated below alternative method to get rid of the error message.
- If you notice SATA cable as the key reason behind the problem, you need to remove it from the hard drive.
- If there is a damaged hard drive, you won’t be able to reuse it.
- So, you need to install a new hard drive as a second type of drive on another computer.
- Now, establish the boot order in your BIOS settings.
- Now, you can boot it from its main functioning Windows OS.
- When you start Windows, you will find second hard drive comes as a new drive in the given File Explorer option.
- Go to File Explorer to choose the “Properties” option, and then choose “Tools” to click on the “check” option.
- Now, you need to run a complete scan in order to do recovery of error sectors.
- If you want to save data, you need to use the backup option.
- 10 Best Media Server Software to Create Your Own Netflix
- How To Block Ads On Hulu [6 Ways]
- 7 Ways to fix iPhone Battery Draining Fast Problem [iPhone SE]
- How to AirDrop from My iPhone to Mac?
Techemirate.com is a technology blog about gaming, PC, mobile, Windows, how to, and others. The objective behind setting up Tech Emirate is to help contemporary readers to find accurate information about the latest gadgets, technology, software, gaming, and many more.